Well the family said yes! So I shall be helping my mother cook aloo gobi, and chicken curry and chapatis or naan in between opening the presents and having a kick ass day. Here are some recipes I found online for what we will probably be making.
* 3 potatoes, chopped
* water for boiling
* 1 cauliflower, chopped
* 1/2 onion, sliced
* 1 tsp coriander
* 1 tsp cumin
* 1/2 tsp turmeric
* 1/4 tsp ground cloves
* 1/4 tsp ginger
* 2 bay leaves
* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 1/3 cup water
1. Boil the potatoes in water for about 15 minutes, or until just barely tender. Remove from heat and drain.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the spices and cook for about 30 seconds, then add the onion, cauliflower and potatoes.
3. Allow the veggies to cook for 3 to 5 more minutes, then add the lemon juice and water.
4. Cover and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes, or until cauliflower is done cooking.
5. Serve your vegetarian aloo gobi alone or with rice if desired.
• 4 Halved chicken breasts
• 3 tbsp. Olive or vegetable oil
• 1 Egg with 1/4 cup water
• 1 Cup crushed stuffing mix
• 2 Cloves crushed garlic
• 1/2 tsp. Oregano and basil
• 1 tbsp. Oyster sauce
• 1/2 Cup Marsala wine
• 1/2 tsp. Pepper
• 1 Cup sliced mushrooms
• 1/4 Cup chopped green onions
• 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
• 1/2 Cup water
• Mix water and egg put chicken in it, crush them into crumbs and cover completely.
• Fry the above mixture in olive oil until browned and done throughout. Set aside.
• In the same pan add more oil if needed and fry onions and mushrooms until tender.
• Add wine to pan and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
• Add spices, water and cornstarch, simmer for 10 minutes to mix flavors.
• Pour the mixture of spices, water and cornstarch over chicken and serve with noodles.
• Chicken Marsala is ready.
* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 1 cup warm water
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 3 tablespoons milk
* 1 egg, beaten
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 4 1/2 cups bread flour
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
2. Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
3. During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
4. At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.
1 cup all purpose flour (Maida)
Water to Knead dough
1/4th tsp. Ajwain (optional)
3-4 Potatoes (boiled, peeled & mashed)
1/2 cup Green Peas (boiled)
1-2 Green Chilies (finely chopped)
1/2tsp Ginger (crushed)
1tbsp coriander finely chopped
Few chopped Cashews (optional)
Few Raisins (optional)
1/2tsp Garam masala
Salt to taste
Red chili powder to taste
1/2 tsp. Dry Mango powder( Amchur) (optional)
* Mix all the ingredients (salt, oil, ajwain) except water.
* Add a little water at a time.
* Pat and knead well for several times into a soft pliable dough.
* Cover it with moist Muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
For Stuffing :
* In a bowl add mashed potatoes and all dry masalas (salt, chili powder, mango powder,
garam masala) and green chilles, ginger and Mix well.
* Add green peas, cashews and raisins and mix well.
* Add coriander and keep aside.
To Proceed :
* Make small rolls of dough and roll it into a 4″-5″ diameter circle.
* Cut it into two parts like semi-circle.
* Now take one semi circle and fold it like a cone. Use water while doing so.
* Place a spoon of filling in the cone and seal the third side using a drop of water.
* Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry till golden brown (fry on a medium flame).
* Serve samosa hot with hari chutney, tamarind chutney.